Pages

Monday 17 February 2014

Camp Takota, Friendship and Community Spirit

So I don't know if you've heard, but a film called Camp Takota came out on Friday, and it was kind of a big deal, for me at least. Now, I know that some of you might not know anything about Camp Takota, and that's okay, I'll fill you in.



There are three YouTubers, known as the Holy Trinity of YouTube, called Grace Helbig, Hannah Hart and Mamrie Hart (no relation). They make videos wherein they vlog, and get drunk, and give advice and all sorts of other things, but recently they've been working on a huge new project: making an actual, legit, feature length movie. And along with this movie came an enormous sense of community among Gracists, Hartosexuals and Mametownies around the world.

Camp Takota as a concept was announced on the Main Stage at VidCon 2013, in Anaheim, CA, and since then over 3.5 millions subscribers have been eagerly awaiting news and backstage access. In August 2013, over a series of 13 vlogs on DailyGrace, we got to see the filming process, and the trailer came out on December 24th 2013.

An extended trailer was released on 5th February, and very soon after, I had my second experience of community spirit online - the first being the 2013 P4A. On February 7th (last Friday) during a livestream entitled "6 S'MORE DAYS", the three communities of Holy Trinity followers came together to get Hannah Hart's "myHarto" channel to 1 million subscribers - something that I was so excited about, as a member of this community, that I stayed up until 2:30am watching it live. So yeah. That happened.

"Camp Takota" as a name was come up with by the three comediennes because of its etymological origins - yep,  I'll always get language into everything, that's something you'll just have to get used to (#sorrynotsorry). "Takota" means "friendship", and that's ultimately what the film is about: friendship, finding yourself, and, obviously, going to camp.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone (camptakota.com) and I'd like to register that community and friendship are incredibly important, even if you don't realise it yet.

~ Tess

No comments:

Post a Comment